maandag 9 januari 2012

Appoggiatura: A short introduction.

Music is a passion of mine. So are other forms of art, writing and languages. In this blog I can combine all of them. Music will be the main theme here.
I was born in the Netherlands, as a member of a family consisting of professional musicians. A lot of my earliest memories are about music. Playing music, listening to music, composing music, going to concerts... I grew up with it and learned to play the piano.
My parents are both piano teachers. They taught me a lot, especially my father. Music is not simply a bunch of notes for which you need technique to play. Instead, it's a way of communicating. One thing that helps me a lot is imagining that one has no vocal chords, only an instrument and hands to express himself. Every thought and feeling has to be translated on the instrument. If people can capture that feeling you are playing well. Technique only helps you to achieve your goal, it's not a goal itself.

When I listen to musical pieces, I try to take a lot things into account, to throw light on different elements of the music. If one element is not performed perfectly it doesn't mean that the whole piece isn't beautiful. I will try to write down my analyses and be as extensive and clarifying as possible. Perhaps it will help me appreciate more some componists and I would be glad to take you with me on this musical journey full of discoveries.

Why 'appoggiatura'?
Well, an appoggiatura is a musical ornament or embellishment that is not necessary to carry the overall line of the melody (or harmony), but serves instead to decorate or "ornament" that line. (©Wiki)

I hope my articles can serve as an embellishment of the beautiful oeuvres composed in the course of history.
The first masterpiece I will write about is Maurice Ravel's "Jeux d'eau".

If you detect any grammatical errors, don't hesitate to write it down in the comments. Requests for articles are welcome too. I appreciate your feedback.

Greetings,

Alexandra


1 opmerking: